It is without doubt that through the years, all of us had benefitted quite greatly from the technological advancements that were developed. Probably one of the most important things that were created with the help of technology is the computer devices that have made all of our lives easier. But just like any invention, computers back in the past are prone to various problems since not enough technological developments have been made in that time.
One of the most common problems faced by computers in the past was “phosphor burn-in.” This happens because computers back in the day were based on cathode ray tubes (CRTs) and when the same image had been displayed on a CRT-based screen for long periods of time, the properties of the exposed areas of phosphor inside the screen permanently changes and this results to a darkened shadow in the screen. Thus, computer experts have developed screen savers to change the image on the screen every now and then.
What is a screen saver?
A screen saver is an executable file that shows a blank screen, image or group of images, animation or a series of animation or a line of text. Due to the technological advancements in the past years, phosphor burn-in had been eliminated as a possibility in computer monitors nowadays. Thus, screen savers are now used for these reasons: entertainment, security, uniform look, advertisement and information. Screen savers are used for entertainment purposes because they are generally fun to watch especially those animated screen savers. They are good for diverting attention even just for a few minutes. Some screen savers also offer password protection so users will not have to worry about any sensitive information stored in their computer whenever they have to leave it for a few minutes.
How can you use a screen saver?
It is quite easy to set up a screen saver. Just follow the steps below to successfully configure a screen saver in your computer device.
- Click the “Start” button on your desktop. This is usually seen as a circular image with the logo of Microsoft Windows inside in the new versions of Windows.
- Then, click “Control Panel” which is usually seen in the right side of the pop-up and below the “Computer” icon.
- Select the “Appearance and Personalization” among the options written in large font size.
- Then below “Personalization,” you will be able to see a “Change screen saver” option so click it.
- Among the choices below in the screen, select the “Screen Saver” icon.
- Here, you can choose among the standard screen savers that come with Windows.
- Select the screen saver you want and adjust the length of time that your computer has to be idle before it shows the screen saver you have chosen.
- Click “OK.”
With these steps, you will be able to successfully configure a screen saver for your computer. There might be instances when you do not want the screen savers that come with Windows. To solve this problem, you can look for finished screen savers online and choose one that fit your preferences or you can also make your own.
Screen savers might not be needed anymore to prevent phosphor burn-in but there are still various reasons to use them. In this day, screen savers are still important.